Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Me in a Nutshell

Here it goes, my life in a nutshell:

*deep breath*

I was born in St. Helena, California in the Napa Valley. when I was a few months old my family moved to Missoula, Montana where my sister, Haley, was born. As I was about to attend Kindergarten, my family again moved to a small town about 45 minutes outside of Missoula called Stevensville and that is where I spent the majority of my growing years.  I have two best friends with whom I still keep in contact from those years: Jacki Simmert and Kyrie Campbell.  I know we will forever be "the three amigos" and I look back very fondly upon the days we spent together.  During those years, my passions consisted of: horses, collecting Breyer horses and TY beanie babies, gymnastics and dreams of wanting to be a veternarian (Kyrie, Jacki and I even had plans for our own clinic that we were going to all own together).

At the end of fourth grade I had to leave the best friends of my youth when my family moved to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. The move was rather rough on the whole family, but we managed, and Coeur d'Alene turned out to be a wonderful place to live; my family lives there still today.  Though at times I missed Montana, Coeur d'Alene quickly became my true home.  I met some of my best friends there (Crystal Butt, Melissa Barkow, Celena Allen, Rachel Bryan and Mallory Gregson) and have had some of my greatest and most memorable experiences there.  There are countless days spent swimming, boating and fishing on the lakes,  days spent hiking, camping and hunting in the woods, while living there I came to know Christ and to experience love.  It's along the lakeshore that prom took place and I loved those walks on the beach and along the boardwalk in every season, including winter.  I skiied almost every slope in the area and we considered Spokane to be the "big city". In fifth grade I began to play the viola and now, nine years later, it still remains one of my great passions. So almost needless to say there were innumerable concerts both attended and performed in.  And of course, Coeur d'Alene is where I met my very best friend, Nathan Barber.

Nathan and I were friends since Freshman year and didn't even begin dating until Junior year.  It's been an amazing two years with him and I consider myself to be the luckiest girl in the world.  He is both a talented cellist and an all around amazing person.  Together we have had countless adventures: movies (including several midnight premiers), hiking Canfield mountain, meeting Sarah Palin, floating the river, painting, jumping into the lake fully dressed just for the heck of it, many classes together and concerts, school classes, a day trip to Seattle, swimming at our favorite spot on the lake, days in Spokane, supporting eachother in various ways, school dances and football games, just hanging out at eachother's houses, trying new resturaunts, kayaking around Tubbs hill, prom, church, youth group, Honduras and growing together spiritually in an amazing, faith centered relationship.  In fact, if it was not for him, I would never have come to know Christ.

There were hard times to be sure, everyone has them.  But I got through them and now believe I am better for it.  For certain though if it was not for family, friends and loved ones I don't think I'd have made it.  Likewise, I've been able to grow in myself and then turn around and provide help to others in their times of need; in itself very difficult, but completely worth it.  It's been a journey to be sure; one that's brought me to my current position, sitting in a college dorm after a week of rigorous classes.

My hard work in academics my whole life allowed me to be accepted into the University of Puget Sound where I am now, here in Tacoma.  I came here with the intention of majoring in Art since for all my life I've considered myself to be a self taught artist, my talent even earned me a scholarship; so it seemed like a natural choice. I've always loved art and believe I could be sucessful.  Also able to write well, experienced in many extracurricular activities, having good common sense and worldly knowledge, my ability to work hard, get things done, work under pressure, knowledge of another language, experience in both music and art, my excellent academics, determination and ambition; I know I could be successful in today's America.

 But then I decided to go on a mission trip to Honduras. . .

AND NOW EVERYTHING IS ABOUT TO CHANGE. . . . .
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment