~ Honduras ~ part four ~
Hey Everyone!! Wow, it’s been a LONG time since the last
time I wrote anything! College got insanely busy for me second semester and I
can honestly say that during the times when I wasn’t writing papers or reading,
when I actually had a bit of free time, I really didn’t WANT to write more on
my blog. So I took quite a long break.
But now that it is summer I decided that this would be a good opportunity to
make some more progress on my blog J
I know that I am not even halfway through my Honduras
narrative yet; and as much as I love Honduras, I would, at this point, enjoy
moving on to my more current activities surrounding college and the place that
I am spiritually at this moment. However,
I intentionally wanted to convey the experience in the most extreme detail that
I possibly could, both as a way to have it documented for myself, and also as a
way to share the experience with others. So far, I feel that I have done this
well, and I don’t plan to start leaving out things now; I am just hoping that I
can motivate myself to write these more often.
So. Tuesday! Probably one of the most memorable days for
me.
After breakfast of course, we loaded into the truck and the
van and made the drive to the Escuela Nazareno, a Nazarene school for children
in grades one and two. Our team had
packed various art supplies and beads, plus a few soccer balls, and we brought
them here with the intention of getting to know the kids and helping out around
the school for half a day.
When we arrived at the school, the kids were still in their
classrooms but one could hear their excited chatter and laughter through the
windows on either side, so we gathered in the main worship hall to wait. Soon, the teachers brought in all the kids,
kindly shooing them along whenever they stopped to stare at us. Introductions
all around, during which we attempted to meet every stare or bashful smile with
a smile or small wave of our own. When the basic greetings were over, the
teachers then lead each class in a small performance; a few songs, a recitation
of one of the Psalms, a reenactment of the story of the crippled man, and a special
version of “head, shoulders, knees and toes” which the children had learned not
only in their
native Spanish, but had also taken the time to learn in English
as well.
| retrieving one of the balls |
| small river we had to cross - it smelled terrible |
The most touching part for me though, was after we had
walked back to the school, many of the kids, before returning to their
classrooms, stopped to give us hugs. Once inside though, as we were gathering
our things, we could hear the teachers leading the kids in a recitation of some
sort. Lindsay translated for us, “they’re saying a prayer for the foreigners
who came and played with them today.” When I heard that it gripped my heart
like a vice. These children, who come from what in America would be considered
complete squalor, still have the ability to love and play and learn just as
well, if not better than any other child, and would in an instant pray for us
when it would appear that they are the ones in need. It was then that it really
sank in that I have far more to learn from this trip than I could ever give to
anyone I met.
| "Quesooooooooooo!" |
On the way back from
the school we took a short detour to the church that Romellia and her family
were in the process of moving into. It was a large concrete building with nothing
more than a small, rickety fence to protect it. The yard was overgrown and the
inside was dust-covered. The classroom in the back which the family was going
to turn into their living quarters, was even worse off. There was no plumbing,
no electricity, no windows, and the carcass of some animal long-dead lay in the
middle of the room. Regardless, she
showed us around gleefully; excitedly telling us all her plans. Even when she
told us that her and her family would be moving into this shell of a building
that Saturday, it was with great excitement. This woman of Christ was following
His will with the utmost attention and excitement, wherever it might lead her
and her family.
After a quick lunch we headed back and spent the rest of the
day on the work site. The next day we would be ready to begin installing the
roof! J
No comments:
Post a Comment