Yesterday was fairly basic, just homework, grocery store,
class and getting things done that I needed to.
Today was a bit more interesting. After class, Alyssa and I
went to the British Museum where we wandered around the portion of the museum
dedicated to Ancient Egypt. I got to see quite a few mummies and the caskets,
tombs, dressings, beadwork and artifacts were incredible. We also wandered into
a room that had a gigantic Michelangelo sketch (a full size rough draft for one
of the cartoons he painted), as well as two Picasso linocuts. We had a little
time to go through half of the Mesopotamia exhibit before we were shooed out by
the museum staff who were closing it up for the night.
Out of the museum, Alyssa and I decided that we were craving
pizza and ice cream, so we set off on the hunt for a Pizza Hut. The two of us
took the Tube over to Oxford Circus and just decided to pick a random direction
and wing it; see what we could stumble across. Eventually we came to a nice little
pizza shop that was definitely nicer than Pizza Hut. As we stood outside
examining the menu, a waitress who was standing just outside the door having a
smoke, leaned over and said, “Hey! You have a Nirvana shirt too!” and pointed
to her shirt which had the yellow dead smiley face logo on it, exactly like the
one I got in Camden. I laughed and she chatted with us a bit and told us about
a deal they had going on, so we decided to give it a try. The pizza was very
good despite being thin-crust artisan pizza rather than the super cheesy
American pizza we had originally been in search of. We each got a cocktail and
a little bowl of gelato too (they messed up the gelato order so we ended up
getting a third bowl which we split for free). Even though the place was a
little more spendy than we had originally intended, it was definitely worth it
and we left satisfied with both the food and the friendly staff. Ironically,
when we reached our bus station, low and behold, there was a Pizza Hut right
across the street which we would have come across if we had only walked one
block further. But we were still satisfied anyway with our decision and our
little excursion.
Over the past two days I have also immersed myself in the
hunt for an internship that I would be interested in, hopefully one I can get
college credit for this next semester or even start work on over the summer. I
had a small revelation when I thought of a potential career path for myself
that for some stupid reason I had never considered before; music journalism. I
found several internships that involve music journalism and blogging, some of
which can be done remotely so it is not necessary for me to go into “work”
every week as I can do it all from my laptop (albeit, going to concerts and trying
to get interviews). Some radio stations even promote various blogs. So I have begun
a new blog, which I have spent the past two days setting up, separate from this one
which is more centered on music news, opinion pieces, and also some of my own
short stories which are inspired by rock songs (compiling them into a
collection when I have enough – another recent idea of mine that I am very
excited about). I have entitled it "Stairway to Nirvana" and will likely be asking people to promote it once I get it set up the way I like and get some posts completed to start it off. I hope to keep this going for a while, updating it regularly and
gather an audience so that I can pitch it (kind of like a portfolio) to some of
these radio stations to see if they will promote me and/or take me on as an
intern journalist/blogger. I am quite excited to see if anything comes of this.
I don’t know if it will, but I feel like if this did become a career path for
me it would turn into something that I could pursue passionately.
No comments:
Post a Comment