Firstly, I apologize for the brevity, tardiness and sporadic
publishing of my blog posts this weekend; my concentration has been off because
of being sick (almost better now though) and also just a lot happened so I’ve been really quite exhausted.
Yesterday, Hannah, Alyssa, Marissa and I went to Brighton.
Much like our trip to Canterbury, we caught an early bus out of Victoria
station and then spent the next two hours cruising southward through the
English countryside. Fortunately I was the only one able to stay awake for the
entirety of the trip there, and I’m glad I was. On our way out of London we
passed by the Battersea Power Station and I managed to snap a few pictures
before losing sight of it behind the buildings. For those who don’t know, Battersea
is the building with the giant pig balloon floating between the front two smoke
stacks on the front of the Pink Floyd album “Animals.” The countryside was absolutely gorgeous on the
way to Brighton; green as ever with the characteristically English rolling
hillsides dotted with farms and traced by hedgerows. I even saw a fox –
unfortunately, it was one that had been killed by a car – but even still, it
was a reminder of sorts that even the wildlife are different here; foxes being
much more common here than in the Pacific Northwest. As we drew closer to the
coast, we began to see seagulls flying overhead, indicating that our
destination was near.
The bus rounded a corner through a narrow gap in the
hillsides, and on the other side, Brighton suddenly sprawled into view. We
wound through the city before darting down a surprisingly narrow alleyway, the
kind that makes you jump for the briefest second when, at first, you don’t
think the bus is going to fit, before parking.
As we stepped off the coach, we were subjected to instant disarray as
the wind greeted us with a gigantic blast. Immediately, my hat was nearly blown
from my head and my coat tried to turn me into a kite. This wind never let up
the entire day.
The four of us didn’t need to do anything but cross the
street to find ourselves on the boardwalk. After some photos, we descended the stairs
and made our way across the rocky beach toward the water. The waves were
massive and crashed against the sea wall and the pylons of the pier, and
stroked the beach with long sweeping breaths. It was at this time I took the opportunity
to put my feet into the water so that I could say that I had been in the Atlantic
Ocean for the first time. This was my first time ever being at the Atlantic
Ocean (I had only seen it from a plane before), so I braved the cold, and had
my friends snap pictures as I checked another item off my bucket list. They thought
I was nuts. And probably rightly so as it WAS quite cold. But at least I have
now been to the Atlantic Ocean.
After I had shoved my numb toes back into my boots, we
continued along the beach for a bit, walking away from the pier. Anytime I am
near the ocean I find myself in a state of wonder at the beauty of it all, and
am especially fascinated by what one can find on the beach itself. Even after
living in Tacoma for nearly three years, I STILL come back from the beach with
a handful of shells and stones every time I go. So you can imagine how many
shells I was lugging around by the end of our day in Brighton; especially since
the shells that wash up on the beaches here are entirely different than any I
have ever seen on the beaches of the Pacific. We eventually reached a sort of
sea wall that jutted out parallel (yet not as far) to the pier. The four of us
walked out onto this as far as we could and spent some time admiring the beachfront
and the crashing waves. When we tired of this, we followed the boardwalk back
the way we came and brought ourselves to the pier. After a brief stop at a
churro stand which looked too good to pass up (and it definitely was), we went
out onto the pier.

From here, we got a beautiful view of the beachfront part of Brighton which sprawled in either direction along the water. To the left (when facing the end of the pier) along the shore, way far in the distance, just barely on the verge of being obscured by the fog, one could see where the ground rises up and the green grass outlines great white cliff-sides. I am certain that these cliffs mark the precursors to the Straights of Dover, which is indeed not far to the East of Brighton. I imagine, that from the cliffs I could see, they only get bigger and grander until they crescendo up into what we know as the White Cliffs of Dover. My friends and I are planning a trip to Dover, but until then, I chose to take a white rock from the beach which seemed to be made up of the same sort of stone as the cliffs, to remember them by. On the pier there are a variety of carnivalesque activities including an amusement park at the end of the pier, but also a large building which houses about a hundred different carnival and arcade games as well as gambling machines. Alyssa even decided to get her cards read by a Tarot reader. While she claimed that he was accurate, I couldn’t help finding him the slightest bit peevish and even though I was curious, I didn’t find his generalized answers worth paying ten pounds for; I’m too much of a skeptic anyway. We walked all the way out to the end of the pier, taking pictures as we went and stopping occasionally to watch the waves or stare out into the horizon.

After we had walked the entirety of the pier, we then
crossed the street again and, leaving the beach behind us, walked further into
the town part of Brighton. It did not take us long to walk by the Royal
Pavilion – a palace that looks like it belongs in India and not England. In
fact, I believe, it was a gift from the Indian royalty, but I did not read
about it extensively, so I couldn’t give much history about it. I do know,
though, that the architecture was stunning and made for some really beautiful
pictures. There was also a museum in the same area which was constructed in a similar
fashion. We cut through the gardens behind the palace and then continued to follow
the main street until we reached Trafalgar Street, where we took a left turn.
We went up this street particularly because supposedly there was a piece of
Banksy art there – however, we failed to find it or it had since been removed.
We did see plenty of other fantastic graffiti art, though, and got to check out
some very interesting shops and markets along the way. I even found a shirt
that I couldn’t pass up; grey and white, thick American Eagle flannel that was
only five pounds.


By this time, we figured it was time for a late lunch, so we
headed back toward the water and found a fish ‘n’ chips place that looked
promising. Being on the sea, Brighton is quite renowned for its fish ‘n’ chips –
if you’re going to get fish ‘n’ chips anywhere in England, better make it
Brighton. Fortunately, Brighton’s world fame came through and we enjoyed a warm
meal, leaving nothing on our plates at all.
After lunch, we returned to the pier, wanting to stop for
some souvenirs; I ended up getting a vinyl sticker of the Union Jack which,
when I got back to NIDO I put on my guitar just below the bridge – thought it
would make a good memento of my time here. We then returned to the beach, this
time on the opposite side of the pier. Even though the Ferris-wheel turned out
to be too expensive to be worth riding, we did spend a good amount of time
beach-combing, taking pictures, and marveling at the water and sky. As I looked
out at the horizon, I couldn’t help but think about how strange it is to be
halfway around the world from everything I’ve ever known. I don’t miss being
home as I am enjoying my time here too much, but I was filled with a sense of
awe at how big and yet how small the world is at the same time, and I guess I
can understand how some people find that frightening. While this experience has
exceeded every one of my expectations, and has been nothing but perfect, it is
also a lonely experience. Often you can’t explain what these experiences and
this new knowledge are doing to you. There are things shifting around at a
fundamental level, I can feel it; but I won’t know the full extent of the
changes until I have returned home. And even then, it may remain impossible to
explain.





Awesome!!! Go with the flow and thoroughly immerse yourself in the moment as you are :)
ReplyDelete