Yesterday, Hannah, Alyssa, Abi and I left NIDO at 7:30 and
made our way to Victoria Station where we caught a bus that took us to
Canterbury. The ride there was fairly uneventful, we all had a hard time
keeping our eyes open. But once in Canterbury, the adventure began.
Upon arrival, the weather was rather shockingly cold and we
all held tightly to ourselves and turned our collars and hoods up against the
wind while we searched for the ticket office to purchase a walking tour of the
city. After getting only briefly lost, we found the office and then made our
way to the gates of the Cathedral where said tour was supposed to begin.
The tour led us first through the dairy market and then down
butchery lane and we were told about what life in medieval Canterbury was like.
We were shown the town coat of arms with the motto, “Hail Mother England,” walked
by one of the taverns which was mentioned by Chaucer in the Canterbury Tales,
passed the part of town which had been destroyed by German bombs in WWII, and
then circled back around to the gate of the Cathedral.
We passed through the giant arch and into the yard
surrounding the Cathedral which was established in 596 by Saint Augustine who
was sent to England by Pope Gregory the Great to re-convert the Anglo-Saxons in
the region. But parts of the building which were repurposed at that time to
serve as the cathedral were much older than that. As the ages wore on, the
building itself has been built and rebuilt part by part, until now what stands
is a rather patchwork structure. The east end is characterized by the Gothic
architecture while the west is marked by the Roman style of building. Different
colored stones compose the walls, most of which were brought over from Normandy
due to the lack of building materials around Canterbury itself. Buildings
surrounding the Cathedral consist of the monk’s living spaces, a school, the
remains of an infirmary, a guest house, and the water shed which was one of the
only running water systems in the region and which saved many lives during the
plague by promoting sanitation.
Exiting the grounds on the opposite side of the Cathedral,
we passed by one of the current schools of Canterbury, an extremely expensive
secondary school where the “penguins” (what the Canterbury folks call the students
due to their tuxedo-like uniforms) were being released to their next class by
the bell; this of course caused me to think “Release the penguins!” every time
I heard a school bell for the rest of the day. Back out in the town, we
wandered through the streets, passing by the Marlowe Theater (Christopher
Marlowe, author of Doctor Faustus, was born in Canterbury), and crossed over
the river which was massively flooded. When the tour ended, we returned to the
Cathedral and paid to go inside.
Even though the cathedral was established by Augustine, its
most famous archbishop was Thomas Beckett who was murdered in the cathedral.
Apparently King Henry VII and Beckett frequently disagreed, so when the King
declared in frustration, “will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?” there
were some knights who took his declaration literally and carried out the deed.
However, after his death, around the shrine to Thomas in the cathedral, it is
said that miracles began to happen. This made the Cathedral a pilgrimage
destination for many Christians (the setting of Canterbury Tales), and also
contributed to Thomas Beckett being declared a saint very shortly after his
death. The place where the shrine once stood is marked now only by a single
candle on the floor and the stained glass windows above depict the many
miracles said to have happened as a result of praying in close proximity to the
shrine. The place where Thomas was killed is marked by an altar and an
inscription of his name in the floor of the “Martyrdom” (the wing of the
corridor where he was attacked). We took our time wandering through the
corridors, the crypt, and marveling at the high ceilings and grand windows. In
the crypt, with a heart nearly moved to tears by the beauty of the cathedral
and a similar musing to that which had been evoked in St. Paul’s, I lit a
candle at one of the altars and said a simple, silent prayer before moving on. I just want my faith back.
At one point, I paused briefly by the sarcophagus of “The
Black Prince” and stood look at it as well as the candle commemorating Beckett.
As I stood there, one of the information guides spotted the “American Tour” (a
rather rubbish tour that points out the obscure American connections to the
cathedral), and declared, “Oh! You’ve come a long way!” She was an older lady
and I smiled and told her that I was there studying for the semester. Leaning
in close in the fashion of someone who is a little hard of hearing and thus
always stands a little awkwardly close when speaking, she told me, “You know,
the first thing I say to every American I meet is ‘Thank You.’” At first I wasn’t
sure how to respond, she hadn’t clarified anything so I asked for further
information, “For what?” Leaning in even closer, but with a sparkle in her eye,
“For taking all those Puritans who did so much damage here!” I couldn’t help
but laugh, she was DEFINITELY an Englishwoman if there ever was one; they never
let go of those old historical grudges. She then posed me with a sort of
dilemma, saying, “The Black Prince, now there’s some interesting stories about
him; but I don’t want to keep you from your friends, so you don’t have to stay.”
I glanced to the right to see the three of them disappear around the corner and
was torn for a moment, but quickly turned back to her, “no, please tell me, I’m
curious.” She then proceeded to give me what really was an interesting history
about the Black Prince. He never became King because he died shortly before his
father, but he did win a major battle at the age of sixteen against the French
(“You’re not French are you?” – “no, I’m not.” – “Okay good, I can tell you
what I think then…” – again, SO English). However, out of respect for the
French general who went into battle against him despite being blind and who was
killed as a result, the Black Prince incorporated the French fleur des lis
pattern into his crest and alternated it with the English lion – also celebrating
the French blood of his grandmother (I think that is correct, will have to fact
check, however). She told me a bit more of the history, but I would definitely
have to look some of it up again, and out of fear of not relaying the correct
details, I will refrain from repeating it all here. Eventually, I was allowed
to go, and quickly made my way back to the entrance where my friends had been
waiting.
After we felt that we had sufficiently covered the
Cathedral, we spent some time just exploring the streets and shops of
Canterbury. We also walked over to St. Augustine’s Abbey but where not able to
enter because it was closed to the public. But we walked around it and got
pictures of the Abbey from a distance, the Cathedral also at a distance, and
the old city wall. We walked quite a bit, by this time the weather had cleared
and it was actually pretty sunny despite being still cold. Throughout the day,
I had been plagued by fits of coughing that only seemed to be getting worse in
the cold air which kept irritating my throat. By the time we stopped for
dinner, my body was becoming sore from coughing and I was starting to get a
headache, so after we ate at a pub called Witherspoon’s (which was actually
very, very good), I tried to stop at Boot’s for some cough drops but they were
closed. Fortunately, back in London the shop there was still open and I was
able to procure some cough syrup and drops which gave me some relief. Because
of that frustration, I decided to sleep in today and laze around all day,
allowing myself the time, hopefully, to get over this cold once and for all. So
really, against my better judgment, I did absolutely nothing today except eat,
sleep, watch tv, and do a bit of writing. Even then though, the writing was
mostly because I had to, as my motivation was rather low. Tomorrow though, I am
looking forward to a trip to Brighton, so expect more pictures then.
Hope you get better soon!!! If you are ill for more than two weeks or get a fever be sure to go to the doctor and get checked out may need antibiotics. Take care of yourself and thank you for the history :)
ReplyDelete