*None of these photos are mine: photos weren't allowed in the theater
The beginning of the day was really not worth mentioning as
it was a pretty general morning filled with homework and then class. I went
back to NIDO afterward and then hung out until 6:40 when I met up with Alyssa
and Hannah and we went to the theater. We had been fortunate enough to land half-priced
tickets to the production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream playing at the Barbican.
For only 17 pounds, we got pretty much the best seats in the house; right in
the middle on the lowest level. Because of the slant though, we were place at
the perfect height to the stage. The Barbican is an absolutely beautiful
theater, round lights on each side, comfortable, sofa-like seats, high-tech
gates which slide shut at the end of each row when the show begins, and a hard “curtain”
which actually looked more like a shell that would raise up from the floor and
descend down from the ceiling to seal off the stage during intermission.
One of the most well done aspects of
the play, I thought, were the transitions between scenes. There was never a
pause to change scenes, rather, the actors in the following scene were almost
always incorporated in the previous scene. For example, a scene depicting the
lover’s in the forest utilized the trick with the boards being held up and
moved around, one moment the lovers were in the forest as the trees moved in
closer in a threatening oppressive manner. The lovers jumped up and ran off
stage followed by many of the board holders which created a moments of visual
confusion by moving the boards around in an erratic fashion, suddenly, three or
four of the board holders tucked the board under their arm as though carrying a
board for building, and then launched into the next scene (as the ones holding
the boards had been the actors playing Quince, Bottom and the rest of the crew rehearsing
a play for Hippolyta and Theseus’s wedding). It was those kind of seamless
transitions which made the whole thing flow beautifully, keeping the audience
enraptured for its entirety.
Walking back to NIDO, there was one thing that kind of put a
sort of solemn end note on the night; we had stopped at an intersection because
the pedestrian light had just turned red. However, a woman was walking very,
very slowly across the crosswalk and did not make it to the other side before
the traffic light turned green. Thankfully the car she was in front of was
aware of her, and waited patiently, the next care whizzed by but the one after
that also waited for her. No one honked even though she still crossed slowly
and paused for a moment to look at the traffic before putting her left hand to
her ear and cupping it over her ear with a clawed hand. Traffic continued after
she gained the sidewalk. When the light turned green for us, we crossed and it
was not long before we were coming up behind the woman who was walking very
slowly still. Just as we were about to pass, she stopped in the sidewalk,
spread her legs out, kind of straddling, and just started peeing on the sidewalk.
She had a dress on, so of course it immediately created a puddle that one had
to step around. We passed her without saying a word, and I could not see her
face because her hood was up. But I believe that she was probably suffering
from a mental illness of some sort. It was a bit of a sobering moment because I
don’t believe that there is nearly enough aid and attention given to people
suffering these kind of ailments, and more often than not, they are the ones
who end up homeless, living on the streets in squalor because no one wants to
take care of them, they can’t take care of themselves, and they have nowhere to
go. I also think that there is a tremendous amount of damage done by various stigmas
that many put on people suffering from mental illness (i.e. that those with
Depression should just “buck it up” and be happy instead and quit seeking
attention and trying to do as little work as possible, etc.). I have noticed it
in the States but have not been made aware of any intention to change it. Here,
at least, I saw at least one sign on the Tube which stated how “Mental Illness
can happen to anyone” and asked to “Stop the discrimination of those suffering Mental
Illness.”
Despite that sobering end note, the night was a fantastic
success and we had a wonderful time. If I get the chance, I am hoping to go see
Les Miserables while I’m here, that way I will have covered some of the
quintessential “London Theater.”
She is somebodies daughter....sad. Thank you for the update:)
ReplyDelete