Okay, day fifteen.
Today was a good one. Went to class and sat through another
lecture on British Youth Culture, still pretty interesting, and as I predicted,
the professor is starting to warm up to us now that the uninterested ones have
dropped. From here out, I think the class will go smoothly and be quite
interesting. After class, I made my way back to NIDO and bolted down a PB&J
sandwich (REALLY need to learn how to cook other things – I’ve had PB&J’s
for FAR too many meals than I care to admit) and met up with Hannah. We took a
look through her guide book and decided to go check out the Camden Market.


Camden Market, or Camden Lock, is a place where there used
to be a type of farmer’s market surrounded by stables, and set next to the
Regent’s canal and locks. It started out pretty ordinary, but then the British youth
culture got a hold of it. The stables eventually closed and became an extension
of the market, it became a gathering place for eclectic and “hip” youth; the
Rockers, the Mods, Punks and Goths, among other youths. As a result, the place
is now packed full of vendors selling band t-shirts, Gothic clothing types,
flashy and bold accessories, some paraphernalia of sorts, quirky items, food
vendors, music shops, souvenirs, tattoo and piercing shops. All around a pretty
eclectic place with some equally different people. In short: it’s AWESOME. For
a while, in the States I’ve been searching for a tank top with the Nirvana
logo on it (the smiley face one set on a black background) as well as one with
the Jack Daniels logo – designs that you think would be easy to find, yet I
have not seen ONCE even after months of searching; and finding them online
means paying fifteen bucks for one t-shirt, plus shipping, which is of course
ridiculous. At Camden, it took me maybe five minutes to find all the designs I
was looking for, plus some – and at a much more reasonable price 4 for ten
pounds. Also up for bargaining as the whole place has a feel of Mexico or
Honduras where each vendor is trying to get you to buy from them so they start
bartering the price with you. Makes me sad there is not a place like this back
home, because it was SO easy to find clothing and accessories that were EXACTLY
my style – cheaply.
After bumming around there for a while, checking out the
sprawling expanse of the whole market (very dense and vendors crammed in
between equally interesting shops), we walked until we found Regent’s Park –
the second largest city park in London aside from Hyde Park. There we walked
through the beautiful gardens which, surprisingly still had a decent amount of
flowers, and past the zoo. It was nice to get a dose of green grass after
living with nothing but concrete in sight for so long. One thing is certain,
you don’t take grass or green trees for granted here – you don’t realize that’s
what you’ve been missing until you actually walk through the park, smell the
grass, and realize that some fundamental craving within you has been filled. As
it is a park of some considerable size, we just walked and talked for a while,
weaving in and out of the garden and along the shore of the pond, taking some
pictures as we went.
When we reached the other side of the park, we consulted a
map and realized that we were not at all far from Baker Street, so we made for
there. Because Hannah hadn’t seen it and because on my previous trip there with
Tula I had forgotten my camera, we made a stop by 221B – not going in, but at
least to check it out and get some nice pictures of the outside. A block down
we caught the Tube and rode it to Angel where we made a necessary pit-stop at
the store and an equally necessary pit-stop at a cupcake shop that caught our
eye – yes it was necessary,
especially if you’d seen how amazing they looked. I got some sugar for the tea
that I have been drinking – yes I have for the first time in my life found a
tea that I like, it’s called English Breakfast, and even though I have NEVER
been a tea person, I think the problem was that when anyone ever had me try
tea, they never put any sugar in it. So I’ve been drinking this tea and with
sugar, I’ve discovered that I actually really enjoy it. I know, if you had any
doubts that I was in Britain…But yeah, that’s become my substitute for coffee
since 1) it’s too expensive to keep up a caffeine addiction like that here, and
also 2) since my doctor said I should probably try to cut back on said
addiction…But so far, so good; actually not addicted anymore and eased off it
over Winter Break, so the headaches were at least manageable, and now I haven’t
needed crazy amounts of caffeine to keep me going throughout the day (also
mostly credited to my medication though, that has helped significantly and is
actually probably what made breaking that addiction even a possibility in the
first place). But, also at the store, I decided to try these shortbread cookies
with strawberry filling called Jammie Dodgers. I remembered a reference to
these cookies that occurred in an episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor
pretends that a Jammie Dodger is a self-destruct button and uses it to bide
time with the Daleks, and save the world and so on and on. I am absolutely a Doctor Who fan, not obsessively so
(as much anymore), but I do dearly love the show. So when I saw them, it was
kind of a “hey, I’ve heard of those” moments and since they’re a pretty
characteristically British snack I decided to give them a try – which turned
out to definitely be a good decision as they are very tasty.We walked back from Angel, and settled ourselves to the task of making dinner. I actually made pasta for the first time since being here – something other than PB&J!!!! It actually turned out alright even though I overestimated how much I could eat, so, I guess I also made lunch and dinner for tomorrow at the same time…maybe breakfast. There’s rather a lot of pasta.
I’m not a chef.
If I don’t live with someone who cooks, I swear, it’s going
to be PB&J and coffee until the day I die…
Anyway, making dinner and chatting kind of eventually morphed
itself into Hannah and me both sitting with our laptops open, comparing
favorite music for the next couple hours. Though our tastes weren’t completely
the same, we did find some good overlaps, and really were just enjoying listening
to music and talking.

No comments:
Post a Comment