The past few consecutive nights of no more than five hours
of sleep are starting to catch up to me a bit. I am getting knots in my
shoulders, as I always do when stress increases and sleep becomes scarce. Also,
in the mornings, due to the excessive walking, on the way to IES my shins
become really quite painful – especially when I am in a hurry to class (when in
a rush, the pain has made my eyes water once or twice). I really need to figure
out a way to stretch them out in the morning before I have to make the walk.
Because after that initial morning walk, they get plenty stretched out and then
I am fine during the day. However, overnight, my legs get stiff and sore and
that’s what makes the morning walk so difficult. So many of my joints pop in
the morning when I am initially up. Hopefully, as the time goes, I will get
more used to it and it won’t hurt quite so bad. I’ve also just been a little
sluggish these past few days from the lack of sleep.
But still, I am here. And am still loving the hell out of
London. So if this is what it has to be, I’ll willingly take it.
I had my British Youth Culture class today, and I think I
have determined that this is my least favorite professor. He can be rather
rude, very pretentious, and sometimes rather crude for a man his age. However,
I am interested in the class still. Unfortunately though it is a little
different than what I expected. Admittedly, I expected that we would discuss
more bands that I would actually be familiar with – Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones,
Led Zeppelin, and so on. However, in his book and in class, our professor
focuses far more on the Beatles, the Who, David Bowie, the Animals, and many
other bands that I only know by name or reputation. And he frequently ties
these to current pop bands and artists, such as Lady Gaga (for the Bowie
influence), whom I am almost equally unfamiliar with. I suppose the bands he is
covering more so are more-so considered to be the “revolutionaries,” but it’s
just that I expected to actually be familiar with at least some of them. But
all that I do have background knowledge on are regularly glossed over. And even
though I absolutely respect bands like the Beatles, the Who, David Bowie, etc. for
everything they’ve done and accomplished and the differences they’ve made,
honestly, I still don’t like listening to
their music. It’s just a style that I find myself unable to sit down and
listen to, and it does not catch my interest. The opportunity to learn about
the influences of these bands and especially the culture surrounding them, IS
interesting though, and I have found it fascinating despite my unfamiliarity. I
also did enjoy the film we had to watch for today’s class; the one by The Who,
called Quadrophenia. It was interesting, and I look forward to some of the
other films we will be watching.
After class, I had two hours, during which I briefly stopped
at Costa (basically the British Starbucks – even though they also have actual
Starbucks too), for a coffee and a small thing to eat, and then went back to
NIDO briefly. At three I made my way to City University for my first day of classes
there. Because I was early, I wandered around the building for a while until I
eventually got myself lost and had to ask reception to point me in the
direction of my classroom. As I sat outside, waiting to be let in, I was
surprised by how many people were coming and gathering around the door. As it
turns out, going into the class, it was discovered that we were in quite a
large lecture hall suited for about 150 people or so; and by the start of
class, it had mostly filled up. It is a BIG class; definitely the largest one I’ve
had in my whole college career. And the professor is really quiet so it is
difficult to hear her in the huge lecture hall. However, apart from being a
little nervous, I have already found the class to be interesting – I am taking
an introductory level psychology class called “Biological Approaches to Mind
and Behavior.” I have always been interested in psychology, however, I am unfortunately
aware that it is not something I could ever pursue a major in, and definitely
not a career in – but I have always been fascinated by it regardless. This
particular class, however, also includes quite a deal of biology – specifically
looking at the nervous system. So lots of memorization will be in store for me
over the next semester, that’s for sure. Science is not my strong suite, mostly
because the amount of math that is included, so I am hoping that I will be able
to do well in this particular course. However, I am a little nervous as I have
not taken a science course in a long, long time, and never one at the collegiate
level; so I am unsure of what to expect exactly.
After class, I went by the grocery store on my way back and
picked up some more dinner options – in other words, something OTHER THAN
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Tonight I had a grilled cheese sandwich…
*facepalm* I know, I know, my inability and
lack of motivation to cook is deplorable...
:) Stretching out regularly will surely help as well as finding a couple of teniss balls, sticking them into a tube sock and using that to set pressure points into
ReplyDeleteBeatles and the Who are mainly soft rock but yeah if you like classical rock or like hardcore rock then you probably will find them, unfortunately boring :( Glad to hear you went to Costa, I miss that place so much.
ReplyDelete