There are some times when I am actually glad that I am
somewhat of an insomniac; staying up until 2:30 – 3:00 in the morning and
getting up at 6:30 is one of those times. If I didn’t have insomnia, there is
no way in hell I could have done that and then spent a whole day constantly
wandering through the streets of Cambridge, seeing all I can see. Even still, I
am not entirely certain how I am still functioning at the moment. Regardless,
it was a good day, and I was awake and alert the whole time so the short night
didn’t cause any interfering problems. By 8:30, our bus was zigzagging through
Northern London before breaking out into the English countryside. Even in
winter, the countryside is a shocking shade of green, and the hills roll gently
across the horizon like ocean swells. Little cottages and farms dot the hills,
and large hedges divide the plots of land. Unfortunately, because of our speed
on the freeway, I was not able to get a clear picture that did any justice to
the beauty of the land that stretched for miles on both sides of the road.
When we got to Cambridge, our group was led through the
cobblestone streets and between the ornate brick buildings to Market Center – a
place in the center of town behind Great St. Mary’s Church that is set up as a
farmer’s market of sorts. The large group was then split into smaller groups
and we were each given a tour guide to lead us through the city.
Our guide first led us to the Eagle Pub and RAF Bar – one of
the oldest and most famous pubs in Cambridge as it was here that Francis Crick
and James Watson declared that they had discovered DNA. The RAF (Royal Air
Force) Bar is also quite the historical location due to its popularity with the
soldiers during WWII – many of whom graffiti-ed their names and initials on the
ceiling, which can still be seen today.
Across the street from the pub is St. Bene’t’s Church, the
oldest standing building in Cambridge as its Saxon bell-tower dates to the year
1033. The building is so old that the ground on which it stands is sunken down
from much of the rest of the town. This marks the original ground level of the
town, before years of building and of new dirt deposit throughout the years
raised the ground level by about three feet. The church was small, and compared
to some of the other spectacular chapels in the city, rather plain, but in some
ways I found it to be one of the most beautiful buildings. The old, brick walls
were trimmed with ivy and bushes grew around it, a leaf-less tree spread its
branches over the roof, almost touching the iron weather-vane at the top. The little
yard was, like I said, sunken down, and there were several graves that were
clustered to the right side of the wooden door, quite close together and very
near the walls – moss grew on the stones. Inside, it was very plain. The simple
stained glass windows let specks of colored light fall onto the white walls.
Like I said, it really was nothing spectacular, especially not compared to the
King’s College Chapel which we saw later, but it was beautiful in its
simplicity and history all the same.
Next, we wove our way through the crowded streets (more crowded
than normal due to graduation celebrations going on), toward the aforementioned
King’s College Chapel which commanded attention and dominated the skyline of
the city. Before arriving there, we wove through some back alleys and also
stopped to marvel at the Corpus Clock. A rather disturbing piece of art, not
only due to the sculpture of a rather horrendous looking creature atop it, but
also because of the note of truth which rings in its meaning:
“A large sculptural clock at street
level on the outside of the Taylor Library at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
University...It was conceived and funded by John C. Taylor, an old member of
the college. It was officially unveiled to the public on 19 September 2008 by
Cambridge physicist Stephen Hawking...Taylor calls this beast the Chronophage
(literally "time eater", from the Greek χρόνος [chronos] time, and
φάγω [phago] I eat). It moves its mouth, appearing to "eat up" the
seconds as they pass, and occasionally it "blinks" in seeming
satisfaction. The creature's constant motion produces an eerie grinding sound
that suits its task.
Below the clock is an inscription
from the Vulgate 1 John 2:17: mundus
transit et concupiscentia eius ("the world passeth away, and the lust
thereof").
The clock is entirely accurate only
once every five minutes. The rest of the time, the pendulum may seem to catch
or stop, and the lights may lag or, then, race to get ahead. According to
Taylor, this erratic motion reflects life's "irregularity".
Conceived as a work of public art,
the Chronophage reminds viewers in a dramatic way of the inevitable passing of
time. Taylor deliberately designed it to be "terrifying": ‘Basically
I view time as not on your side. He'll eat up every minute of your life, and as
soon as one has gone he's salivating for the next.’ “ –
Wikipedia
From the clock, we went around to the entrance of King’s
College Chapel which is right near Clare College. King’s Cross Chapel took 90
years to build, and was begun by Henry VI but finished by Henry VIII.
Originally, Henry VI wanted a rather architecturally “plain.” However, when the
Tudors got their hands on it, these original ideas went completely out of the
stain-glassed window. Outside, the building is magnificent, but inside, it is
mind-boggling. One encounters an immediate sort of sensory overload by the
grandeur of the stained glass windows, the sculpted crowns and crests, the
carved wood center divider, the gold organ pipes, and the breathtaking vaulted
ceiling with columns that fan out on top. Everything about it is big, bold and
absolutely stunning. At the east end, past the choir chairs, there is a
painting by the artist Reuben which is equally huge and splendid, that was a
gift to the church and was put on display after having been completed in a mere
eight days; one could not even venture a guess at its worth.
Outside of the Chapel, one exits out the south door and
enters a large lawn that is on the backside of the gate which one sees from the
road. We took the path back out to the main road and again went weaving through
the buildings before returning to our starting point at Market Center. From
there, we were left to our own devices for the next few hours to get lunch and
explore at will. I immediately sent off in search of good photography
opportunities, winding through crowded cobblestone streets and snapping
pictures of the beautiful buildings as I went. Eventually, I even came across a
short hike which led up to a hillside that overlooked the city. Back in the
earliest days, this was once a place for the village watchtower, the building
for which has long since disappeared. Now though, it functions as the perfect
place to get a look at the whole city and the surrounding countryside. One can
see for miles from atop this hill; see all the brick and chimney-ed rooftops of
Cambridge, but also the green rolling hills which stretch out of sight in all
directions. In general, the land is fairly flat, as the hills are not
particularly large and there are no mountains, but neither is it boring, as the
bright green is dotted with groups of trees, cut through by streams and canals,
and trimmed in hedges. Even in the winter – I can only imagine it in the summer
– it looks like something from a fairy tale.
Coming off the hill, it was at this time that my stomach
decided to remind me that I had not yet eaten, so I wound my way back to the
Market and bought a small loaf of banana walnut bread and some dried apple pieces,
which I munched on while I continued to walk – wasn’t about to sit down and
waste the time I had here. When I felt as though I had sufficiently covered the
main part of town, I then crossed over the canal and started following a muddy,
dirt pathway that paralleled the water. This was surrounded by a kind of
park-like setting, with some open fields between the path and the town, and had
plenty of trees, bushes, and flowers throughout. I walked for a long time that
way. Even though I felt torn, a little paranoid that there were things I had
possibly missed seeing in the town itself, but I couldn’t tear myself away from
the green and dirt path. I played hop-scotch over puddles, and had a good time
taking pictures of the water, and the foliage. After living in the heart of
London for the past few weeks, I was aware that I had been craving the fresh
air and space of the countryside. It was immensely refreshing and I walked
until the dark grey and threatening clouds began to worry me some. I headed
back to the general area in which the bus would be meeting us so that in case
it did start to storm, I would be able to duck for cover quickly and easily.
This led me to follow the canal and the road in the opposite direction (south
instead of north of our bus) for a little while. Even though I did not go down
nearly as far, I did find a place where the canal widened into a pond, graced
with weeping willows at its banks. I walked around the next block and circled
back toward the bus, now that it was time to be heading back.
The timing for when we loaded the bus could not have been
more perfect, because no sooner had we all loaded, my prediction came true and
the sky unleashed a torrential downpour. And that is an understatement. Put it
this way, I’ve never seen rain like that before in my life. No joke. The wind
blew it in great gusts, and it didn’t come down as individual drops so much as
it seemed as though someone were tossing water out of five-gallon buckets. I
couldn’t see out of the window because there was a waterfall off the roof of the
bus. All I could see were the blurry outlines of the poor saps who were
unfortunate enough to get caught in it, running for their lives. There were
even a few peals of thunder and lightning and a bit of hail. And yet, it
stopped nearly as quickly as it begun, dissolving into a drizzle as though it
were saying “who me? I didn’t do that. I would never.”
And we set off in the failing light, making our way back to our
home in London.


No comments:
Post a Comment