This morning I made my way through the pouring rain to where
my class – Modern British Novel – was meeting at the British Library (just the
other side of St. Pancras/King’s Cross, so essentially just down the street
from us) for our lecture. Here we were first set loose in the one part of the
Library which is open to the public, a large room that houses numerous first,
and original editions of some of the world’s greatest books; first editions of
printed Shakespeare, Marlowe, the original handwritten and illustrated version
of Alice in Wonderland, first copy of the Communist Manifesto, the Codex
Sinaiticus and the Codex Alexandrius, as well as handwritten scores of music by
Beethoven, Mozart and Hayden. There were also letters by Michelangelo informing
his father that he had completed his work on the Sistine Chapel, sketches and
notes by Leonardo Da Vinci, a letter from Darwin defending himself and his
belief in natural selection from the attacks of a friend, a feverishly paranoid
letter from an Issac Newton suffering from Mercury poisoning in which he
informed his friends that he could no longer see them anymore, and of course
the Magna Carta. Now the Magna Carta itself is not actually one single
document, in fact, they don’t think that there was ever only one copy of the
document drawn up to begin with, rather there were seven or so initial copies
made based on the meeting itself, and then sent out – so the British Library
has two of those copies. After having explored this room, spending a good
amount of time thoroughly combing over everything it had to offer, our
professor then bought us tickets to go into the exhibition that the Library was
hosting; a look into Georgian England – life, style, household objects, books,
writings (including some of Jane Austen’s letters as well as her writing desk),
sport relics, maps, architecture, entertainments, and so on, providing a general
picture of what life was like in Georgian England.
From there, I then made my way to Birkbeck where I was
meeting Hannah and Aaron for the same free lunch that we went to last Thursday.
(Unfortunately this time there was no sign of our Austrian friend). We had
lunch, grateful for the warm food due to the biting cold wind that decided to
kick up today – even though the rain thankfully stopped, it remained one of the
coldest days we’ve encountered thus far. And unfortunately it was the same day
that one of the buttons on my coat decided to abandon its post…will have to sew
that back on later, but regardless, I wasn’t able to return to NIDO for a
different coat and ended up having to hold my coat tightly around me with
folded arms for the rest of the day.
After lunch, I parted from Hannah and Aaron and made my way
to IES where I printed off the documents I would need later in the day to
finalize my registration and get my ID card at City University. The paper I was
consulting said I didn’t need to be there until 3:00 however, and finding
myself early, I opted to hang out in the IES study room for a while, just
writing and mapping out the route I would take to get to City University from
there. When it was time, I set off and found my way, fairly successfully, to
City University. The walk was nice, albeit cold, but I did get to explore a new
street I hadn’t been down before. Forty-five minutes later I arrived - the last
bit, I had to hurry so as not to be late, but when I finally did arrive at City
University I entered the first door and asked reception for directions, she
then directed me around to the front door, where I again consulted another
registration desk, was directed down some hallways and up the stairs to the
third floor, down more hallways and much out of breath, found the room I needed…which
was dark…
Confused, I looked at the paper I had been looking at from
before, and my heart jumped when I realized I had been reading the wrong time
for the wrong day – I had missed it. Though I was right that I had to be there
today, unfortunately, the time at which I should have been there was back when
I was in class. Basically, I not only missed it, but I’d missed it by quite a
long shot. Sweating and quite frantic by this time I called the number of the
International Program – the second time I called, the lady picked up and kindly
informed me that it was alright, I could come back tomorrow morning, no harm
done. Already quite footsore, and still recovering from my panic attack, I
slowly made my way back to NIDO, listening to some calming music on my phone so
as to try and bring my heart rate down. Additionally, due to the panic, this
time I was rather grateful to be back out in the cold air which was helping
this time to cool me down.
Back at the dorm, I flopped down on my bed and retreated for
a while into the silence. Unintentionally, and without realizing it though, I
almost immediately started to drift off. It wasn’t until my roommate came in
that I was brought back from what I believed to be thoughts but which had
unknowingly become dreams as I was starting to fall asleep. With some effort, I
shook it off and forced myself to go to the kitchen and down a PB&J.
Not a whole lot later, Hannah texted me to see if I was
interested in going out for dinner; she wanted to check out a pizza place on
the East Side – and also just an excuse to go explore over that way. We hopped
on a bus that took us over to Shoreditch. Once we got our bearings, we were
able to find the pizza place, but to our surprise it turned out that it was
closed for a private event that night. So we went back to the drawing board,
and chose a direction to walk, hoping we would stumble on a place to eat. A
couple blocks down, across the street from an absolutely beautiful stone
church, we found a little pub that showed promise. We went in, found ourselves
a seat and ordered up some food and drinks – pizza and a cider for Hannah and a
little plate of hummus and pita, a cider, and a shot of Jack Daniels for me. All
of it was good, and I rather enjoyed ordering my first shot in a pub. Of course
there was no effect whatsoever, but it was something I felt would be fun to do
as a first while here. I also laughed a bit at the fact that I am the kind of
person who doesn’t like tea unless there’s a decent amount of sugar in it, and
yet, I like whiskey straight (haha).
Once we were warm enough and full, we set out to explore. It
didn’t take us long to realize that we were in the part of town where what they
consider to be East Side meets with “The City,” or the more downtown area of
London. We figured this out when we rounded a corner and all of a sudden, there
was the Gherkin building, large as life, towering above. Because we were so
close, we thought it wouldn’t hurt to go check it out; on the way joking that
most of the others in the program were almost definitely out partying and
getting wasted at the moment, meanwhile the most exciting thing we were going
to do tonight was go touch the Gherkin building. Which, even though we were
joking, of course, because we said it, then we HAD to go get close enough to
touch it. So, yep, we found the Gherkin, went up close and touched it and then
walked all the way around it for good measure.
We made our way back to King’s Cross via Liverpool station
and once back at NIDO Hannah showed me how to set up my computer so that I
could watch American TV shows while I’m here in Britain. So after quite the
tiring day, I have been lounging around, getting caught up on Supernatural,
talking to you lovely folks, and am going to now fulfill my poetry quota (even
though it’s almost 1:00 am) and go to bed…
PS: again, I unfortunately do not have any pictures of the Gherkin excursion as I left my camera back at NIDO - sorry!
I bet I can guess that you would LOVE LOVE LOVE to work at the British Library!!! ;)
ReplyDelete