Today IES technically took us on a tour of the Southbank
area, however, what ended up happening in reality was Hannah, her friend
Marissa, and I simply took the schedule that IES had laid out for us, and
followed it at our own pace. Occasionally we ran into or waited for the group,
but we not overly concerned with staying close. The three of us first caught a
bus down to London Bridge and jumped off at the exact point where Tula and I
had ventured, almost a week ago. Turning our backs to the bridge, we followed
the street and came to the Borough Market where we wove in and out of the
crowd, sampling and deciding which vendor to buy lunch off of. After lunch, we
made a second round of it, this time in search of dessert (had just been too
tempting to pass up). I ended up with a chocolate and caramel tart and a bag
full of Turkish Delights for the road. As it happens I ended up with far more
Turkish Delights than I had previously planned, so you can bet that some of my
time later tonight will be spent carefully wrapping them in saran-wrap so that
they will keep. Well worth it though, for they are incredible – I had never had
real Turkish Delight before, and I think I am hooked. Maybe it is a good thing
I don’t live here, as with all the delicious and accessible food and an insatiable
sweet tooth, it is possible that I would become as wide as I am tall…
After the Market, we went down a narrow road, back toward
the water which brought us to a long stretch of wide sidewalk that paralleled
the Thames. This is the region known as the Southbank, and the length of this
sidewalk is littered with street performers, vendors, shops, events (we came
across a sort of book flea market that was occurring – possibly a weekly event,
not entirely certain), wharfs, a skateboard park, passes the Tate Modern Art
Museum as well as the Globe Theater, and eventually it leads directly
underneath the London Eye. This was the stretch of it that we walked, though it
goes further. We took our time, took only some photographs, but today it was
rather relaxing to just walk and not be looking at the world through a camera
lens all day.

Through the day, I couldn’t help but to just fall a little
quiet and listen and look around. Marissa and Hannah are good friends at Puget
Sound and the history and friendship they shared was something that I couldn’t
entirely participate in (though of course they are both entirely sweet and didn’t
leave me out –I just don’t share the same connection with either of them). So I
spent a great deal of time watching the other people. There are so many
interesting people in this city, and I swear that I have never noticed people
so much in my life. Not only the different cultural identifiers and languages,
but even the details; what they carry with them, who or what they are looking
at, their expressions, mannerisms, expensive or tattered items of clothing, notable
characteristics of an individual. No one is the same, and every life is equally
complex – in short; the sonder-effect. And I felt like an observer. As Hannah
and Marissa chatted like close friends do, I sat back, completely unconnected
to anyone around me. Not a soul here knows anything about me, and I know very
little about them. But I can watch the lives playing out before me; lives that
are anchored here, families, jobs, and the connections between individuals even
within our own group (many of those in this program are from Indiana University
and already have far more preexisting connections with one another than anyone
else here). In this though, despite the room for loneliness that is created, I found
it entirely refreshing. For once, not to be known. I can be someone entirely
different here, and no one would know. And I realized that even though I am
here for school, the real part of this trip that feels like a vacation is that
I am taking a break from the person I am when I am back home or at school. That
doesn't mean I am not free of everything in me, but it does relieve me from
constantly having that exposed to other people who know it too – something which,
though helpful and necessary at times, can also be uncomfortable and stressful;
especially lately. So I've come to realize that, it was not that this trip meant
getting a break from all the outside stress factors in my life, so much as it
has meant getting a break from myself and who I am in the midst of stressful
times - that is what I have needed most.
We followed this path from London Bridge, all the way down
to Westminster Bridge, where we crossed and ended our walk at the feet of Big
Ben, hopping the Tube from there and making our way back to NIDO.

No comments:
Post a Comment